How To Make Dehydrated Sweet Potato
I love my dog! I love easy projects! I love easy dog projects that save money! Today I will show you how to make healthy dehydrated sweet potato dog treats, your furry friends will love.
My dog normally inhales her treats without chewing. I love these dehydrated sweet potato dog treats, because they break like potato chips and she doesn’t inhale them. She actually slows down to chew them. That’s a win for me. And if I break the treats into smaller pieces I can use them in a dog treat bag for good behavior on walks.
What You Need To Make Dehydrated Sweet Potato Dog Treats
To Make Dehydrated Sweet Potato Dog Treats You Will Need:
- Uncooked Sweet Potatoes. I dehydrate 5 large sweet potatoes at a time.
- A dehydrator or oven (oven instructions below)
- A mandolin (food slicer), or knife
Seriously! That’s it and I haven’t met a dog yet that didn’t love them!
Instructions To Make Dehydrated Sweet Potato Dog Treats:
1. Wash and peel the sweet potatoes, cut off the ends and remove any questionable spots or sprouts.
2. Using a Mandolin or knife (carefully) slice the potatoes lengthwise.
You want to slice them approximately 1/8”-1/4” thick. If you make them thicker they will take longer to dehydrate. ***When done you want them crisp.
3. Arrange the sweet potato slices on the dehydrating trays. The slices should not touch each other or the air won’t circulate completely around the slices.
4. In my dehydrator, Dehydrated Sweet Potato treats take 10-12 hours. Drying time will vary by dehydrator brand, and the humidity of your climate. When done you want your slices crisp and easy to break in smaller pieces.
5. Check your dehydrated sweet potato pieces for cripiness after they have fully cooled. I keep my dehydrated treats in an air tight container away from sun, for up to 30 days. **If your pieces are thick, and not crispy they will only keep for one week in the refrigerator. They will keep for 6 months in the freezer in an airtight container.
Dehydrated Sweet Potato in Your Oven
If you don’t have a food dehydrator, dehydrated Sweet Potato treats can be baked in your oven. Place your slices on a parchment lined pan. @250°F for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Cooked in the oven, they will keep for one week in your refrigerator, or 6 months in your freezer.
*As with any dog treat, monitor your furry friends while they eat.
Give them a try. Your four legged friend will love you for it!